Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Another quality construction project

As I type this, the carpet in Jakob's room has been peeled back and his dresser/change table is sitting in the middle of the room, all because the actual floor needs repairs.


What is now Jakob's room was previously the guest room. (West-facing - oh how I loved to nap in sunshiney patches on the guest bed! Funny that Phoebe was never similarly enticed...) When Werner was painting the room back in August, I took a step and felt the floor was uneven. In our deficiency list, I described it as a 'sinkhole'. It was located right below the change table, so at least it wasn't posing any immediate hazard.

So, deficiency guys tore up the floor on Tuesday. They had promised that they would lay the carpet back in place, so the room could be sort-of in order, and on Wednesday the carpet guy would be here to re-install it properly.

While they were pulling up the floor in the office-cum-guest-room, I sneaked a peek in Jakob's room. Unfortunately, 'sinkhole' was a little too apt:



The ruler, alas, is just being dangled down the hole. Presumably, it goes all the way through to the ceiling layer.

So they patched the hole:


and said that, because the patch was so large, it had to dry overnight, so the carpet had to stay rolled back.

After that, of course I snooped in the other room, too. The job there was to fix a creaky floor, but after they left I found a hole in the floor (in the closet) that actually let in daylight:



Sadly, I know understand why they won't fix any of the other floor deficiencies (the creaky basement stairs, which we know for a fact that were built incorrectly and then patched, and the nails that popped up into the carpet and poke me in the feet - and will soon get Jakob's pudgy knees): it isn't a problem if the homeowner doesn't know about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home