I feel so bourgeois
One of my fantasies has been to have two consecutive days to myself. On the first day, I'd go out. Have a nice lunch, maybe go to a spa (!!), whatever. Just something relaxing and pleasant and a genuine treat. While I'm out enjoying myself, the house would be scrubbed clean. The whole thing: windows, walls, floors, light fixtures, all nooks and crannies. Everything. Then, the second day I'd have the freshly-cleaned house all to myself. With every surface sparkling, I would be able to rest, read, and relax without any hint of hausfrau-ly guilt.
That never happened, of course. That's why it was a fantasy - the land of make-believe.
Now, though, we're struggling to finish all that needs doing before leaving for Germany. We've got to pack what we'll take with us to Europe, pack other stuff to be sent to my parents for the second half of the sabbatical (and that needs to be further sorted into what is to wait for us in Ontario and what will need to be brought over to Germany when they visit us), put everything else in storage, and clean the house. Most of that we have to do by ourselves, but that very last point, we could certainly outsource.
And we did. On Wednesday, two women came here and cleaned for 3.5 hours. They got through most of the list I'd provided, but not quite all. In any case, our house is finally clean.
I only wish we were the ones who would have the opportunity to enjoy it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home