Since Bärchen took occupancy in my middle, I've had vivid and often bizarre dreams. Some of course reflect on what's been happening in my life, whether fairly quotidien (dreams about our lovely
Phoebe) or out of character (a dream about the
World Cup??). I've also had dreams about high school. (In a recent dream, I decided to go back to high school just for kicks. When I tried to register, the receptionist handed me brochures about adult education and high school equivalency diplomas; I balked and pointed out that I already had a doctorate and just thought it would be fun.) And I've had nightmares so terrifying that I wish I could forget them (and won't share the details with anyone, as they were just too horrific).
I've read somewhere that intense dreams are very common during pregnancy, and that there are probably two reasons for this:
1. REM sleep is more frequent during pregnancy. (This is the sleep stage during which dreams occur.)
2. All those nocturnal trips to the loo mean that I'm probably waking up in the middle of a dream, and this helps me to remember them more clearly.
So, in all likelihood, I'm probably having more dreams while becoming more skilled (if you will) at remembering them.
But, then, as I sleep less and less, only one thought remains:
To sleep, perchance to dream.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home