Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Belly envy

When we began our prenatal classes, I got the feeling that my bump was amongst the smallest. The other women (even those due after me) all seemed to have big, noticeable bellies that proudly declared their pregnancies. After hearing me whine about this one too many times, Werner coined a phrase: belly envy. (What he actually said was, "Is this what women get instead of penis envy? Belly envy?")

That about sums it up. I sometimes feel as though I don't look as pregnant as I am. My belly isn't huge (yes, I know I'll regret this, it will be huge soon enough!), or at least doesn't look huge, and it just doesn't seem as round as I would have expected by this point. There's something like a dent in it. That's what it looks like to me, anyway. By the third prenatal class, I noticed many belly buttons had already popped, too. Mine's as much an innie as ever.

During the break for the third class, I joined the bathroom queue just in time to hear two of the other expectant women discussing pregnant bellies. As I walked up, one gestured to me and said, "See, you're tall, and so you're carrying really well." Oh.

I guess the grass really is greener on the other side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home