Thursday, May 03, 2007

Enough with the baby clothes, what can I wear?

{sigh}

My body just isn't what it used to be. Even my shoes don't fit now. The shoes I bought in Boston were a size and a half bigger than all my other shoes, and now they're just a little loose on me. It is becoming all too apparent that my short-sleeved t-shirts (which, let's face it, are as nice as my clothing gets now) are not really adequate for my breastfeeding figure.

I won't really be able to wear spaghetti-strap tank tops this year. Sure, Motherhood and other stores sell some that have built-in bras, but I haven't found one that feels right, and nursing bras just don't come with invisible straps.

What really gets me though is that I won't be able to wear a dress. As I've mentioned before, I love to wear dresses. This will be the first summer ever that I won't be able to go out in a sundress. (I'm still sad, too, that I didn't get to feel the sun on my shoulders on our wedding day. Stupid Vancouver rain.) Motherwear has some nursing dresses on their website, but I'm hesitant to order online and to deal with cross-border shopping and the possibility of returns.

I have bought a couple of pairs of pants. I need all new summer tops. I need to replace my shoes (but am determined that my feet will fit into the boots I bought in Italy, mind over matter), including my staple chisel-toe Blundstones. I need new shorts (for when we finally go to Europe and will experience summer).

And yet, I feel too guilty to go shopping. I had a whole new wardrobe last year, of course - all maternity clothes, obviously, which I'm not really keen on wearing again. Oh, except a hoodie I bought at Gap Maternity in Boston, which doesn't look at all like maternity clothing and is really cosy and comfortable. But that's it. I'm not bringing in any income, so I don't feel like I'm pulling my weight. And since I'm only going to be covered in baby vomit (and feel like I rarely leave the house, at least to do things that aren't baby-related), how can I justify new clothing?

Yes, I'm a mom of the frumpy kind. Wearing unflattering, ill-fitting, spit-up splotched out-of-date clothing. Goes well with my near-permanent ponytail.

And then there's my well-past-its-use-by-date make-up... but that's another story...

1 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

I'm suffering from this kind of thing too. I promised myself I would never let myself go after a baby. Now I know to say, "Never say never!"

And being well-endowed, I've never been able to wear spaghetti straps. I only buy wide strap tanks, shirts, and dresses. I won't even let myself consider a thin strap.

Mon May 07, 09:12:00 p.m. PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home