I have been pregnant a long time.
Yesterday, though, I suddenly had this sense of having been pregnant for a very long time. I was on West Broadway, visiting Parthenon and Young's, and as I walked by the Tim Horton's (the one and only anywhere near us - and it opened only this year), I remembered Werner taking me there for Kaffee und Kuchen not long after we learnt we were expecting. It just seemed so long ago...
Which got me thinking, how long has it been since I started my day with a cup of coffee? That one's easy: my last cup of real coffee was on February 13. When did I last enjoy a glass of wine? Must have been January. When did I last sleep on my belly? Or not have a stuffy nose? Easily remove my engagement ring? Not have heartburn?
Yet with three more months to go - a whole trimester yet! - we're not nearly there. (Note to Bärchen: Please stay in there as long as you need!!) My belly is just starting to get in the way, and my legs seem to be growing longer because it is getting more difficult to reach my toes. (Pedicure booked for Friday!!) My maternity jeans are getting uncomfortable (might be looking for a new pair while I'm in Boston), and my feet have started to spread. Last night I just couldn't get comfortable. When Phoebe stuffs her toys under the furniture, it takes a lot more effort to retrieve them for her.
In the first half or so of pregnancy, I welcomed all signs that could confirm that I was indeed pregnant. Morning sickness, heartburn, whatever - bring it on! All these things helped me to feel pregnant. Das kleine Bärchen's kicks and squirms now give me undeniable proof (and tremendous emotional comfort) that there is a baby growing inside of me. I don't need those less-than-pleasant symptoms any more! But if that's what it takes to grow a healthy baby, so be it. That's all I care about.
I've read that the second trimester is the 'golden period' of pregnancy. Now that I'm nearing the end of it, I can see that the things that are getting to be somewhat challenging or time-consuming now will take a lot more effort over these last few months.
At least I really look pregnant now!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home